Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that can lead to serious health problems when in the presence of oxygen. It is released by any gas or kerosene-burning appliances such as a water heater, furnace, stove, or boiler.

The carbon monoxide levels should be tested regularly and adjusted accordingly for optimum safety. This blog post will cover why you should try your classes and how to do so.

Why should I test my carbon monoxide levels?

Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas released by any gas or kerosene-burning appliances such as a water heater, furnace, stove, or boiler. If you have one of these appliances in your home, there is always a chance the levels could be dangerously high.

The most common way for this to happen is when some leaky seals and gaskets allow the gas to escape into your home. You may not smell it or see it, so you may never notice it until it’s too late. Carbon monoxide is odorless and invisible.

The solution? Test your levels regularly. Here is some information about carbon monoxide poisoning and how you can prevent it:

What is the best way to test my carbon monoxide levels?

Carbon monoxide levels can be tested by several inexpensive devices to pick up at your local hardware and build supply stores. Some cheaper models use chemicals to detect the levels, while others use electronic sensors. Neither is better than the other. The instruments will have different instructions that will tell you exactly how to use and test them. An excellent way to learn is to follow the manufacturer’s instructions. If you have questions, ask a plumber or someone experienced in using this type of testing equipment.

How often should I test carbon monoxide levels?

You must test your carbon monoxide levels regularly. It would help if you tried the levels before winter and again during cold weather and then every six months. If your levels are too high, there are some simple and easy ways to avoid and lower your exposure:

If your levels are above 30 ppm, you should consider installing a CO2 detector.

Some sensors will turn the electricity off in case the level becomes too high. These will allow you to regulate the stories in your home.

What should I do once I test them?

Once you have tested your carbon monoxide levels, take the necessary steps to ensure safety levels.

The easiest way to get the levels down is to close or vent all your gas appliances. This will eliminate the gas if it’s leaking inside your home. The second step is to run an exhaust fan that blows the fumes away from your home.

Whichever level you’re testing, you will want to vent out any carbon monoxide so that it doesn’t seep back in. You should also make sure that your system is working correctly. Make sure you have a working screen and, most importantly, have your gas appliances repaired.
It is vital to have all gas appliances serviced and maintained regularly. If you live in an older home, it is essential to test your carbon monoxide levels as older homes don’t usually have sensors built-in.

Once the leak has been repaired, make sure to keep your appliances working properly by having them serviced annually. This includes your water heater, furnace, stove, and any other gas appliances in your home.

Easy ways to lower your levels include:

  • Use a CO2 detector.
  • Install a device that will automatically shut off the utility in case of high levels.
  • Vent the smoke and fumes from your home using a fan.
  • Make sure your house is well-ventilated.
  • Use a carbon monoxide detector to monitor your levels.

If you are experiencing carbon monoxides poisoning symptoms such as headaches, dizziness, or weakness, you should seek immediate medical attention. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can be quite severe and cause permanent damage to your health if not treated quickly. Carbon monoxide is a silent killer and could be fatal if not properly treated. Symptoms can include:

  • Headache.
  • Dizziness.
  • Shortness of breath.

What are the common signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning?

However, if you are experiencing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning (shortness of breath, headaches, or dizziness), it is very important to seek medical attention immediately. Many times, a person won’t even realize they are suffering from this deadly gas until their illness becomes severe enough that they start displaying obvious signs and symptoms of illness such as shortness of breath or dizziness.

What are the common causes of carbon monoxide poisoning?

Carbon monoxide poisoning can occur from using any fuel-burning appliance, including your furnace, water heater, or even your car. This is because these appliances produce and emit carbon monoxide. If the equipment isn’t functioning correctly and there are no sensors to detect it, carbon monoxide could leak into your home. Carbon monoxide poisoning can also happen in areas where you heat your home with a gas boiler or wood-fired appliances if you don’t have ventilation or if the vent doesn’t function properly. If you have a gas-powered water heater, this is especially dangerous and can cause death if it’s not maintained correctly.

How can carbon monoxide be deadly?

Carbon monoxide is a toxic gas that comes from burning any fossil fuel, including natural gas. Most times, oxygen is added to the gas to make it glow. Without enough oxygen (an air supply), this sparks and will release carbon monoxide, which will then enter your home and kill you. If it isn’t detected right away, it will continue to build up in your home until you are overcome with its deadly effects.


Carbon monoxide is a silent killer that is especially dangerous in older homes and can be deadly for those with heart or respiratory conditions. If you suspect that you may have carbon monoxide poisoning, seek immediate medical attention. If you are experiencing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, seek medical attention immediately. Finally, if you suspect that your home is being affected by carbon monoxide, there are several questions to ask your heating and air conditioning provider to find out what’s causing the problem. If it is a faulty heating and/or air conditioning system, then call us today for a quick response and repair.